Daily Post 0031: .rtf is not .txt


Once again I am without Internet, but that doesn’t really bother me. I have nothing that I really need it for aside from posting this entry once I am done, and that can easily wait until the morrow.

Today as been incredibly good to me. I’m once again reminded of how much depression eats away at my motivation, at my energy. And when it is not present, how much I am able to actually accomplish on my own.

I woke up early, which meant I was able to go to the spin class at 9:30. I was able to have breakfast and enjoy my solitude, unrushed. I biked roughly 15 miles again. A good, intense burn, starting the day with fire and drive.

Once I came home I cooked my meals for the week. I vacuumed both my room and the living room.

I worked through chapter 7 of my coding book, which was frustrating.

The chapter was about file I/O (input / output). Basically that’s a fancy way of saying “reading information from files, and writing information into files”. This chapter also covered exceptions (errors).

None of this was new to me, and I expected the exercises at the end to be easy. And for the most part they were. Except for the very beginning.

The exercise is to build a trivia game. You create a file that contains all of the questions and answers, and the program is supposed to read in the information for the user to play the game.

Nothing fancy or hard.

So I wrote out the file for the questions and answers, and then went to test out my code.

The file wasn’t being read correctly though, and I figured it was because my file was a .rtf (rich text file) rather than a .txt (plain text) file. So I copied and pasted the information into a new file and tried the program again.

This time it would only read the last line in the file. It was as if the other 29 lines I had typed didn’t exist.

And I couldn’t figure it out. I spent 15 minutes of my life trying to get this file to read correctly.

Eventually I gave up and rewrote all of the lines into a new .txt file… and of course that worked completely fine…

Fucking computers, ruining my life and stuff…

So once I was able to get the file to read correctly the rest of the exercises were cake.

But that’s one big thing off of my to-do list for the month. It’s not much progress, but it’s something, and I’m happy about it.

I was also able to finish recording the two final podcasts for the Render Settings series that I started for the Shading and Lighting class. I had to re-record the intro podcast since Tony wanted me to add some information to it. But that was super easy.

I always have a bit of anxiety before I start recording. It makes me procrastinate.

What if I say something wrong? What if my information isn’t right? What if I mess up during the demo?

I didn’t let it hold me back though. I sat down in my new space and got through them. Even got them uploaded to my DropBox and sent a link to Tony so he could check them out.

I hope to hear back from him tomorrow.

I got more stitching done on the Dragon of Hope. I don’t know if I will be able to finish it off tonight. It’s already 1:30 in the morning, and I’m starting to get extremely tired. I’ve been up for almost 24 hours now.

I got through half of the grading for this week already, on top of everything else, so I plan to finish that off tomorrow. Hopefully.

I also finished off another two assignments for my class.

So a very full day.

Tomorrow I have laundry. I’m hoping to get my reading for this weeks assignments done tomorrow, which would let me take the final quiz and have that done with. Which would only leave the final assignment, which is due Sunday.

I got a reply back from Ray, saying that the price for the rigs can be increased to $500 per, which is still nice. He wanted me to call someone to discuss the project, but when I called I got her voice mail.

I left a message but she never returned my call. I will try reaching out to her again tomorrow since it’s so late (early?). But that news made me happy. That’s a solid $1000 for both Tre and I. Maybe we’ll split the last rig, along with the pay.

We’ll see when we get there. I know he needs the money more than I do.

So yeah…

Tomorrow I am hoping is another productive / full day. With luck it will be warmer than it was today. I don’t mind cold, but wind chill isn’t fun.

I have work at 5pm but I feel confident that I will still be able to get the things I want to done before then.


Greetings traveler! Leave your tidings here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s